What to see at Lake Como
Lake Como was popular luxury resort since … ancient ages, when roman nobility found this place excellent for their villas. High shores of the lake save inhabitants from winds and colds, and summer hot is also not so strong thanks just permanent shadow because of narrow lake width and high shores. So summers are not so hot and winter are not so cold. And so you can see a lot of exotic tropical plants in elegant gardens with Lake Como views — and summary it gives unreal sense of majestic fairy tale. So enjoy your Lake Como visit!
Main sights of Lake Como — villas:
- Villa d’Este in Cernobbio — it is 5-star luxury hotel with historical interior and gardens — all looks very elegant end respectable. Not guest may visit villa’s gardens only on prior registration and ordering something in villa’s restaurants. For that contact the Food & Beverage Office: email@example.com
- Villa Mylius-Vigoni in Menaggio — it is no such gorgeous and remarkable villa like the others, but also elegant and historical. Now it is Italian-German cultural center, you may visit the villa with a guided tour (1 hour) March — October at 14.30 on Tuesdays — English, on Thursdays -German and Italian languages. For that you need book the tour on Friday week before the visit: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Villa Cipressi in Varenna — it is 4-star hotel now with gardens what allow to see. The gardens are not so large, one combines the visiting with next door villa Monastero by complex ticket. Opens 10:00 to 19:30, October 10:00 to 18:00, March, November and December 10:00 to 17:00 on Saturday and Sunday, January and February closed. May be closed for private events, check it in advance.
- Villa Monastero in Varenna — now it is a museum with a great majestic gardens. The Botanical Garden open: March 10:00 to 17:00, October 10:00 to 18:00, April, May, September 9.30 to 19.30, June — August 9.30 to 20:00. November — February opens on some dates 10:00 to 17:00, check them and the House Museum opening time: villamonastero.eu
- Villa Melzi in Bellagio — with also exceptional gardens, like a fairy tall. For visit only the gardens open: April — October 10:00 to 18:30
- Villa del Balbianello -the most fabulous spectacular views, the setting fantastic Star Wars series. Opens 10:30 to 16:30, on weekends — to 17:30, Monday, Wednesday closed, 16 March — 15 November.
- Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo — gorgeous gardens with different areas and plant kinds, famous for azalea bloom in April and May. Opens: 19 March to 26 September 9:00 to 19:30, museum to 19:00, 27 September to 24 October 9:00 to 18:30, 24 October to 7 November 9:00 to 17:00, museum closes a half hour earlier, last entrance one hour earlier.
- Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio — one more respectable noble 5-star luxury hotel with historical interior and gardens. And with the best location on the Lake Como — in the middle, so high shores don’t overshadow any time, so it looks very cheerfully every day time. Not hotel guests may visit the gardens with guided tour (1 hour 30 minutes) at 11:00 and 13:30 on Friday — Sunday, at 11:00 on Tuesday — Thursday. The tour starts at touristic Promobellagio Office (Piazza della Chiesa 14, Bellagio) check and book the guided tour at the office: email@example.com , +39 031 951555.
Lake Como visit: other main sights
- Como — Cathedral, Sant Abbondio church, Broletto tower — town hall
- Castello di Baradello in Como neighborhood, with amassing views. The guided tour (40 min) departures from Castle entrance every hour, from 10:00 to 18:00, Sundays and public holidays 23 May — January, Saturdays 23 May — October.
- Castello di Vezio in Varenna neighborhood, remains a tower and partially walls — with medieval spirit and stunning breathtaking Lake Como views. Opens March — October, in rain closed.
Lake Como visit: the transport
- Buses go about every hour, it is good for getting neighbor towns asfautolinee.it
- Fast boats and vehicle ferry it is very suitable for getting among three middle towns — Bellagio, Menaggio and Varenna navigazionelaghi.it
- Trains go from Minan to Como and along the right shore just to the end — to Piona, it is too suitable to get Milan trenitalia.com
- Cableway car in Brunate — it is good for walking above the Lake Como and enjoying the views in Como neighborhood. Opens 6:00 to 22:30, on Saturdays and in summer 6:00 to 00:00 funicolarecomo.it
Sights and accomodation on a map for planning Lake Como visit
Some accommodation with best locations and pool best locations:
Hotel Royal Victoria ****
- I appreciated the fantastic Bellagio and lake Como views from our room. With a balcony with arch the views were more spectacular and it was like living in fairy tail. It was unforgettable.
- The hotel is also historical and elegant, as the Lake Como villas, Queen Victoria had stayed here. The garden is not so large, but is very exquisite too, like great gardens of Lake Como villas, — so it looks like you live in one of them.
- The hotel has also an outdoor pool, as the sun shines in the afternoon, you can enjoy swimming in the end of the day, after Lake Como exploring.
- Varenna is very spectacular medieval town with noble grace and marvelous lake views. It is pure pleasure to walk on lake side promenade to Varenna port. So you can live in fairy tail all time.
- Next door to the hotel you can visit majestic gardens of villa Monastero and Cipressi. Go upstairs — and you can enjoy breathtaking panoramic Lake Como views from medieval Castello di Vezio.
- From Milan to get to the Hotel very nice too. by train to Varenna and by foot walk less then 10 minutes. From Varenna it’s very convenient to get to Bellagio and Menaggio by fast boat.
Approximately price per 2 adults with breakfast:
lake view (with more large shower cabin)
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni *****
Approximately price per 2 adults with breakfast:
Aparthotel Residence L’Ulivo
- Apartments with a free access to the private lake beach and wellness centre at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni (200 m from) You can also order cosine in the restaurants there.
- Located a bit away from the town, good for guests with a car
Approximately price per 2 adults: 42 sq.m 225 euro